Our day began with students reviewing probability in a variety of situations using sites posted in the Google Classroom. Next we moved on to spinners. We used protractors to measure angles and calculated theoretical probability. It was very involved, and I was so proud of how students persevered in this difficult task. Next came the easy part...students spun the spinner 60 times to find the experimental probability and compare it to the theoretical. We combined all of the groups' data, found the averages, and discovered the that they were very close with the trials of the whole group. We will continue working with spinners next week.
The rest of our day was spent in the world of Marketing. We began by focusing on students' TV homework, sharing in groups and making generalizations about what they learned related to the amount and type of commercials in a 30 minute show. Their comments were very insightful. ASk your child what we discovered about our average amount of commercial time in a 30 minute show.
Next, Marketing Firms met to "target their target audience" by discussing and recording the demographics of the prospective customers for their products. They also did a little planning for a TV commercial, again focusing on the best time and channel on which to air advertisements for their products. I was so pleased with their thoroughness. We learned about the "USP", major benefit statement, and advertising tactics. They were already familiar with many of them from the Marketing Bingo we played earlier. Groups worked together to record examples for each tactic. Students will complete this for homework. Watching TV and listening to the radio are great ways to find some examples. :)
We celebrated two birthdays today and had a Franklin Finding about volcanic rocks.
See below for some photos from October!