Yesterday we had a wonderful day! I have missed the children so much!
Unfortunately we didn't get started until 10:30 because of the Math Check In testing but we made the most of it. The first thing we did was give Grandma Stamps a call since we weren't in school on her birthday. It was great!
Next students worked their way through a checklist of items. First they completed a "Spotlight on My Bridge" form to highlight the strong features of their bridge designs. Next they had a partner check their designs to make sure they met the guidelines. Then they received letters from Grandma Stamps and began writing back. Some finished in class and some will finish for homework.
We spent the rest of our time in From the Ground Up. First we looked at a few photos of completed houses so that students understand the end product. Next we reviewed finding area of rectangles, then learned how to find area of triangles and the area of irregular shapes using the subdivide and add method. Students subdivided copies of their floor plans, measured, calculated area, and calculated the cost of the of the floor and ceiling of their homes. As students finished, they read through the Bridges job descriptions and job application. Most completed their area and cost estimate in class but a few will finish for homework.
1. All students will complete a job application for the bridge company jobs. Job descriptions are posted in the Google Classroom along with a digital application in case they want to word process their application.
2. If needed: finish your letter to Grandma Stamps. Please bring it by Friday.
3. If needed: finish your area and cost estimate.
Next Friday, 4/20, Grandma Stamps is coming for a visit and book signing. Your child has a flyer and you can see it by clicking the button below. You are welcome to join us! STRIDE students will have lunch with her all by themselves from 11-12 and then those who want to will stay until 2:00.
Two more things:
1. Make up days: STRIDE will end across the county the week of 5/14 due to EOG Science Testing the following week. Since WHR only has one STRIDE day, we WILL have STRIDE that week. I plan to make up a second day the week AFTER EOG but I don't have that in stone yet.
2. We are in need of Clorox wipe if you can send some in.
Thanks so much for your support! I appreciate your understanding during my son's surgery and recovery. He's doing well.